Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Catamarans sometimes Large and Small!!


Here is a picture and a story that I thought is worth sharing. Wandering the docks recently here was a gentlemen and his Catamaran anchored just off the docks of Oyster Creek, St Augustine. He was close enough that I could ask a few questions.
He explained to me that the entire craft was built by himself. "I'm still working on the rig and sail!,, but works just fine!" I noticed the rather curious vertical panel off the aft port hull and after further inspection realized that this piece of plywood was attached to a rod and drum arrangement further attached by line to the tiller and rudder on the starboard hull... A self steering system! I had to ask if it worked.. "Works pretty good most of the time" was the answer.. As I wished him well, heading off the docks,, smiled to myself and noted that sailing so often is living that dream! A dream that can be executed both large and small.. Fair Winds!

No comments:

Post a Comment